Sunday, November 22, 2009

Lacoste x Married to the Mob

Be Mine



First seen in Sneaker Freaker Issue 16, this sneaker is the product of a collaboration between Married to the Mob and Lacoste. Since I have come to the conclusion that I will never own those D&G wedges, I'm thinking these may be more in my price range.

MTTM keep coming out with killer collabs from working with Colette & Reebok to Nike. However, their take on Lacoste's Hironia silhouette is their best work thus far. The use of a black lace overlay on lilac is so sexy. I love how a designer can use an unexpected fabric and all of a sudden there's a contradiction or narrative created. Women's sneakers are just getting better and better since the execs are noticing the demand. It's almost liberating that we too can get our swag on with limited edition kicks.

I'm always on the hunt these days of sneakers that I can wear with dresses that don't cut off my legs and make me look short (I hate wearing jeans). Due to this I often opt for my purple Low Rise Nike Air Force 1s. However, these seem plausible replacements if I was to ever give my Nikes a rest. I respect MTTM's attention to detail with waxed laces and slightly metallic colourway that lean more towards the dressy sneaker family.

The shoes are said to be inspired by french designer Christian Louboutin. I can't say I really see this. Yes, the lace could be linked to a reference to his classic Clic Clac's. But if I was reinterpreting his avant-garde approach to footwear I'd probably be a little more extravagant. How about a bow like his satin anemone pumps?

I'd do it a little something like this...


Sneaker front detail:

I'd have similar lace overlay as the MTTM design on a charcoal body. crimson satin for tongue, black satin ribbon at the back, leather mary-jane strap and buckle, waxed laces, rubber sole.




Louboutin Inspiration:




No comments: