Saturday, November 21, 2009

Studio Arts Finals - Naivety, Nostalgia & Time



This year for Studio Arts I explored the theme of ‘Naivety, Nostalgia and Time’. These broad concepts translate into my own specific message that we are often naïve to how lucky we are and that one-day, as time passes, this turns into a deep sense of nostalgia. I have created three mobiles that spin as the viewer walks around and interacts with the artworks. On the left is a mobile dedicated to my dad’s side of the family, my immediate family in the middle and my mother’s side on the right.

Each colour is symbolic of a different emotion that we all experience in life including happiness, love and grief. Furthermore, I drew a pattern of roots/veins that represents the connectivity we have with our family and with each other as we simultaneously endure the highs and lows of the human condition.

The shape of the circle has been extremely important as in many cultures it is known to symbolize life; ‘the circle of life’. Upon the floor there are lanterns to show the light and warmth of our family’s presence, rice to represent an offering to those that have passed away, and salt to symbolise tears and whispers of time as it passes. I have chosen to include a mirror to urge viewers to look into the bottom mirror and to feel the magnetism as their image multiples.

This reflection has been a core focus, as I believe through the reflection of ourselves we also understand how significant how family has been in shaping who we are. This is expressed through the words ‘to reflect upon me is to reflect upon you’. I have used various reflective materials such as beads and silver string to show that from this reflection we gain glimmers of light as memories come into our consciousness. There are many short and sweet sentences upon these textile-based discs that further communicate the concept of naivety as shown through childlike dialogue as the viewer looks at the artwork.

I hope that my audience will take my very personal representation of this reflection I have gone through in creating these artworks and look upon their own lives with positivity, as even in the darkest of times there is light.


© Copyright 2009 by Celeste Watson

No comments: